Search

Warn

Warn

Arthur and Sadie Warn started a Willy's dealership in Southpark, Washington in the 1930's, and founded Warn Industries on June 10, 1948. Warn Industries began with one man's idea for converting thousands of surplus World War II Jeeps into useful, on-road vehicles. Arthur Warn's extraordinary invention of wheel locking hubs revolutionized the automotive industry. Arthur's original idea was a bolt on-bolt off hub model, and he held numerous patents. Originally, Arthur made door to door sales in Seattle, but Sadie saw a larger market and placed ads in Popular Mechanics, which started the mail order business. With orders coming in, they were challenged to build enough hubs to meet demand. Arthur started working with Belleview Manufacturing in Portland, a small four man operation working out of a two car garage. By 1954, WARN locking hubs were offered as optional factory equipment by major domestic automotive manufacturers. The WARN winch, developed in 1959, was the first recreational winch. With pioneering features such as a rugged drive train, the WARN winch quickly became the leading brand for off-road racers, avid four wheelers, weekend adventurers and hard working ranchers. In the 1970's, Warn established its long-time relationship with Ford, with initial production of 20,000 hub sets per month for the F-Series pickups and Broncos. Thurston Warn was named President in 1968, and in the 1980's Arthur's grandsons (Michael and Daniel) became Board Members. Mike Warn was na