Seventy-five years is a long time to be in business, and at Ruland we are proud to have reached that milestone in 2012. It all began in 1937 when 20 year old Fred F. Ruland bought two screw machines at a junkyard for $50 each and merged the parts into a working unit. He ran the machine during the day in a loft of a textile mill at 40 Pleasant Street in Watertown, Massachusetts, which he rented for $20 per month. At night he worked at the Waltham Watch Company to pay the bills.
Soon thereafter, World War II loomed and the business became a full time job. By the time of Pearl Harbor in late 1941, there were 20 employees on three shifts. Military work included spring rings for .50 caliber machine guns and clamp-style shaft collars for bombsights and guidance instruments.Fred F. Ruland found tremendous satisfaction working to close tolerances and providing value added design work. This led to a reputation for innovation and precision along with many proprietary processes and patents.